- No products
To be determined Shipping
Prices are tax excluded
As Ireland’s largest library, Trinity Library educates minds from both Trinity College and the
University of Dublin and is famously home to the Book of Kells. Recently recognised as one of the top 10 libraries of the world, the building was established in 1592 and contains more than six million printed volumes.
Acquiring the illuminated Book of Kells and the Book of Durrow in the 1660s from the Bishop of Meath and former vice‐chancellor of the university, Henry Jones, the library continued to collect significant works. These include the Ussher Collection, acquired in 1661, and the Fagel Collection of 1802.
Trinity Library Arches (Grey Tonal)
Trinity Library Arches (Grey/Green)
Dating from between 1712 and 1732, the Long Room safeguards 200,000 of the library's oldest books and extends 65m. Amongst them is one of the last copies of the 1916 Proclamation of the Irish Republic.
The impressively arched ceiling was a later addition in the 1850s, as extra space was needed to house additional volumes, with an upper gallery added.
Decorated with marble busts from the famous sculptor Pieter Scheemakers, these line the length of the chamber, with philosophers, writers and supporters of Trinity College all represented, including Jonathan Swift. Also within the Long Room is the Trinity College Harp (or the ‘Brian Boru harp’) ‐ an oak and willow artefact with 29 brass strings.
More recently, the Long Room in Trinity College Library is said to have born a certain resemblance to the Jedi archives of the Jedi Temple in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones…